John H. White, DDS, MSD, currently practices as a private practice clinician in Richmond, Virginia. Originally from Huntington, WV, John later attended the University of Richmond graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in Finance. After finding his true calling in dentistry, John obtained his D.D.S. from Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry. Dr. White complete a residency in periodontics, dental implant surgery and IV conscious sedation at VCU where he received a certificate in periodontics as well as an M.S.D degree for his research work on the future of the periodontal specialty. While in dental school and residency, Dr. White received several awards for clinical and academic excellence and served in several leadership roles. Dr. White will be sitting for his board examination in the Spring of 2019. He is an active member in the American Dental Association, Virginia Dental Association, Richmond Dental Society, American Academy of Periodontology, Virginia Society of Periodontics, and Southern Academy of Periodontology. He currently maintains a private practice limited to periodontal and dental implant surgery in Richmond, VA with Drs. Richardson, Overstreet, and Glazier. His clinical interests include bone and soft tissue regeneration and dental implant surgery. In his spare time, Dr. White enjoys golf and tennis as well as spending time with his wife, Sloan, and their two children.
Associate – Richardson, Overstreet, & Glazier, Ltd.
Periodontal and dental implant surgical specialist working with Richardson-Overstreet-Glazier, Ltd. in Richmond, VA. Residency training and certificate in Periodontics completed at Virginia Commonwealth University. Have extensive knowledge of periodontal procedures including but not limited to bone and soft tissue augmentation, implant dentistry, and management of periodontal disease. Certified in minimal and moderate/intravenous conscious sedation. Passionate about diagnosing, managing, and treating periodontal disease, mucogingival defects, and oral reconstruction with dental implants.
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS
- Certification of Specialty Training in Periodontics
- Virginia Dental License (#0401414871)
- IV and Oral Conscious/Moderate Sedation Certification (# )
- Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen Administration Certification
- Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers (BLS)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Dental Radiology Certification
- Nitrous oxide/oxygen, oral sedation, and IV conscious sedation
- Periodontal surgical procedures and maintenance
- Bone and soft tissue augmentation
- Oral implantology, including conventional placement and guided technologies
- Crown lengthening, pre-prosthetic surgery, orthodontic exposures
- General dentistry
- Practice management
- CS Carestream CBCT, Dentrix, Axium, MiPACs, Microsoft Office programs
EDUCATION & TRAINING
VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH UNIVERSITY
2018 Certificate in Specialty of Periodontics
2018 Masters of Science in Dentistry (MSD)
2018 AAP Board Eligible
2015 Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS); Summa Cum Laude; GPA – 3.9
2011 Post-Baccalaureate Health Sciences Certificate; GPA – 4.0
UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND
2007 Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Finance Concentration; GPA – 3.4
PROFESSIONAL & LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
2018- Present Associate
- Diagnose, treat, and manage periodontal and dental implant patients for the greater Richmond area.
VCU GRADUATE PERIODONTICS
2018 – 2015 Chief Resident
- Acted as chief resident assigning cases and literature reviews; organizing meetings and lunch-and-learns; communicating between residents, faculty, staff, and administration.
- Periodontal surgery and maintenance – osseous resective; guided tissue regeneration; root amputation; scaling and root planning with and without laser; occlusal adjustments.
- Bone and soft tissue augmentation – sinus and ridge augmentation; connective tissue, free gingival, alloderm, and pedicle grafting.
- Oral implantology – single, multi-tooth, and full-arch cases; immediate placement and provisionalization; ridge preservation; peri-implantitis.
- Esthetic and functional crown lengthening; frenectomy; pre-prosthetic surgery; orthodontic tooth exposures, third molar removal.
Material & Equipment Experience
- Implants – Nobel Biocare, BioHorizons, Zimmer, Straumann
- Resorbable Membranes – Bio-Gide, DynaMatrix, Guidor, Ossix Plus and Volumax
- Non-resorbable Membranes – Cytoplast PTFE membranes (regular and titanium-reinforced)
- Bone – Demineralized and mineralized freeze-dried bone allograft and xenographic Bio-Oss
- Collagen Matrixes – Alloderm, Mucograft, Bio-Oss Collagen
- Biologics – Emdogain, GEM-21, PRF (Intra-Lock), and PRP (Harvest SmartPrep)
- Laser – CO2
- Weekly classical and current periodontal literature reviews
- Monthly therapy case discussions
- Monthly perio-pros meetings
- Monthly interdisciplinary seminars
- Annual American Academy of Periodontology and Southern Academy of Periodontology meetings
- Annual pig jaw dissection labs
VCU DENTAL SCHOOL
2015 – 2011 Student Professionalism and Ethics Association (SPEA) – National Executive, VCU Chapter President
- Act as Board of Regents member; represented the constituents of Southeast region; chairperson of the regency caucus; primary communication contact between dental school chapters and SPEA executives; act as a resource for SPEA chapters.
American Dental Education Association (ADEA) – VCU Chapter President
- Attended national meetings; established faculty sponsor and by-laws; organized lunch & learns with guest speakers; oversaw Professor of the Year Awards. .
Strategic Planning Committee
- One of two students selected to help establish the VCU School of Dentistry 2018 Strategic Plan. .
- Worked closely with faculty, consultants, administrators, and investors to design the school’s five-year goals and objectives. .
Psi Omega Dental Fraternity – Philanthropy and Rush Chairman
- Organized service events throughout metro Richmond; Recruited and inducted 23 new members during the 2012-2013 academic year. .
Virginia Dental Association (VDA) – Council on Government Affairs – Student Representative
- Voting member and liaison between VDA legislative committee and student body. .
VCU Golf Committee – Day of Play and Fundraising Captain
- Assisted with operations and fundraising for annual VCU School of Dentistry Golf Tournament raising $30,000 in 2012 and $23,800 in 2013 to support class activities and the School of Dentistry’s General Scholarship Fund. .
Teaching Assistant & Tutoring
- Teaching Assistant – D2 Pre-clinical Fixed Prosthodontics course .
- Tutor – D1 Histology.
EWING BEMISS & CO.
2009 – 2007 Investment Banking Analyst
- Provided investment analysis for a middle market investment bank focused on merger, acquisition, strategic advisory, and financial restructuring services with industry expertise in healthcare, business services, energy and logistics. .
- Level 1 of CFA Examination; Licensed FINRA (Formerly NASD) Series 7 & 63.
JP MORGAN CHASE – NEW YORK, NY
2006 Summer Analyst: Market Risk Management
CITIGROUP – SMITH BARNEY – HUNTINGTON, WV
2005 Summer Analyst: Asset Management
RESEARCH EXPERIENCE & PUBLICATIONS
2018 Master’s Thesis & Defense (MSD):
J. White, T. Waldrop, R. Sabatini, J. Deeb, C. Richardson, C. Carrico, S. Lanning. The Periodontal Specialty: A Survey Regarding Our Future. Department of Periodontics, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry, Richmond, Va.
2017 Periodontal Abstract for Virginia Dental Association (VDA) Journal:
Stefanini M, Felice P, Mazzotti C, Marzadori M, Gherlone EF, Zucchelli G. Transmucosal Implant Placement with Submarginal Connective Tissue Graft in Areas of Shallow Buccal Bone Dehiscence: A Three-year Follow-up Case Serioes. Int. J. Perio Rest Dent. 2016; 36(5): 621-30. Va Dent J 94 (3), 27. Jul-Sep 2017.
2014 Untreated and Plasma Treated Grooved PEEK for Implants: Hydrophobicity/Hydrophilicity; P.C. Moon, S. J. Short, J. H. White, D. V. Pestova, P. A. Madurantakam; VCU Dentistry & Engineering, Richmond, Va.
- Certificate of Excellence at Tri-Service Dental Society Meeting at Langley Air Force Base, VA .
2013 White, J. H. Ain’t No Party Like an Ethics Party. VCU School of Dentistry Newsletter – the Probe, v7 (2), 14.
PRESENTATIONS & LECTURES
2019 Virginia Dental Association CE Bites – Latest advances in soft tissue, bone, and implant engineering
2018 VCU Periodontal Lecture Series – Advanced surgical techniques
2018 VCU Perio/Ortho/AEGD Seminar – Mucogingival considerations
2018 VCU Dental Student Perio Selective – Guided tissue regeneration, guided bone regeneration
2017 VCU Interdisciplinary Seminar – Periodontal regeneration
2017 Dental Student Perio Senior Selective – Functional and esthetic crown lengthening
2017 Dental student – Diagnostic and treatment planning uses for CBCTs
AWARDS & HONORS
VCU DENTAL SCHOOL
2018 VCU Graduate Periodontics Chief Resident
2017 Virginia Dental Association – Top 40 under 40 Virginia dentists
2015 American Academy of Periodontology Dental Student Award – for outstanding achievement in periodontics
2015 Omicron Kappa Upsilon: Kappa Chapter – Honor Dental Society
2015 Department of General Practice Certificate of Recognition – for clinical efficiency, patient management skills and steadfast pursuit of clinical excellence during the academic year
2015 Department of Prosthodontics Certificate of Recognition – for dedication as a teaching assistant in pre-clinical fixed prosthodontics
2015 – 2012 Dean’s List, VCU School of Dentistry
2014 Department of General Practice Commendation
2014 Certificate of Excellence for Outstanding Table Clinic Presentation at Tri-Service Dental Society Meeting
2013 DDS Class of 1986 Scholarship
2013 – 2012 VCU Academic Merit Scholarship
COLLEGE – UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND
2007 Student Managed Investment Fund: Growth Trader
- Chosen as 1 of 15 students to manage $300,000 of University endowment by carefully selecting equities after thorough research and analysis .
2007, 2003 Dean’s List, University of Richmond
2006 Phi Beta Delta
- Honor society recognizing achievement of international students.
2004 Phi Eta Sigma
- Honor society for first-year students .
2002 National Soccer Coaches Association of America and Adidas – High School Soccer All-American, State Player of the Year, Defender of Year, Gatorade West Virginia Player of the Year
2018 – 2011 Mission of Mercy (MOM) Projects
2013 Blue Sky Fund
2011 – 2010 Give Kids a Smile
2011-2010 Goochland Free Dental Clinic
INTERESTS & MEMBERSHIPS
2018 Avid golfer and tennis player
Central Virginia Soccer Association
River City Sports & Social Club
2018 American Academy of Periodontology (AAP)
Southern Academy or Periodontics (SAP)
Virginia Society of Periodontists (VSOP)
American Dental Association (ADA)
Virginia Dental Association (VDA)
Richmond Dental Society (RDS)
Omicron Kappa Upsilon (Kappa Chapter)
Psi Omega National Dental Fraternity (Gamma Omicron Chapter)
Second Presbyterian Church